Company HistoryTequila Unlimited was officially founded in the Netherlands on July 7, 2007 by a guy who grew up in the heart of Texas where he enjoyed (some say too many) good tequilas with friends. When he moved to The Netherlands to pursue his MBA, he wanted to offer his good friends in Holland high quality tequila! The problem was that he could only find the usual mixto tequila on the market and was actually appalled that his Dutch friends considered tequila as a “get drunk quick” spirit rather than one to be sipped, savored and enjoyed.
Purely out of necessity, he ordered a few bottles of various 100% agave tequilas from the US. He drank a few with friends, but also gave a few bottles to local bars and restaurants. As the word spread, people started asking for more bottles, and some restaurants started to order 100% agave tequila. A few cases grew into half a pallet, and then into a full pallet every once in a while.
Around 2005, a good friend of his founded the famous Dos Lunas tequila brand in El Paso, Texas, and was asked to look into the potential of the Dos Lunas brand in the European market. After months of careful research, he had to report back that the market potential in the EU would not meet the Dos Lunas expectations. The general consumer was still drinking the “cheap stuff” and the stigma tequila was still prevalent.
During this research, he gathered a lot of market information and a good understanding of the spirits market and distribution in the EU. He met potential distributors to ask their view (and of course interest) in quality 100% agave tequilas, but they confirmed what he had already learned, 100% agave tequila was still a niche market that would be very difficult to crack. However, some of these distributors agreed help and list a few brands in the future.
On top of this, some of his informal customers were calling and asking for more tequila, but more importantly, some new ones were becoming interested as well. This presented a slight problem; importing spirits is a specialized business which must adhere to many rules, regulations and tax obligations.
Against better judgment, after studying all the options, risks and future potential, the Texan formerly founded and registered the Tequila Unlimited B.V. (LLC equivalent in the US, or Sociedades de Responsabilidad Limitada in Mexico) company on July 7, 2007 using a small loan from a family member.
From its founding, the clear strategy of Tequila Unlimited was to primarily import 100% agave tequila from Mexican distilleries still owned by Mexicans who take pride and joy in distilling their tequila. These Mexican distilleries often pass on the knowledge of Tequila from one generation to the next, and they certainly don’t cut corners. They would not dare as these distilleries offer their tequila to their family and friends! Tequila Unlimited is therefore assured of only top quality tequilas!
Tequila Unlimited started with a small portfolio of 100% de agave tequila brands and quite quickly expanded from there to fine selection listed on this site. The strategy was slightly altered in 2010 when Tequila Unlimited also began importing a unique micro-brewed Mexican beer from the Minerva brewery in Guadalajara. In 2011, Tequila Unlimited began importing a few brands of 100% de agave Mezcal to meet a niche market at that time.
The geographic distribution and logistics of Tequila Unlimited has also expanded. From the first “international” sale to Belgium in 2008, Tequila Unlimited is now supplying tequila to customers in most of the EU and well beyond from bonded warehouses in Amsterdam, London and Barcelona.
- Premium Tequila
- Mezcal Artesanal
- Sotol Artisanal
- Mexican Whiskey
- Mexican Beer
- More Premium Brands
- » Mezcal El Recuerdo de Oaxaca
- » Mezcal MeXXIco
- » Mezcal Zignum
- » Tequila 5 Años
- » Tequila Agavales
- » Tequila Alebrijes
- » Tequila Aroma de Mujer
- » Tequila Corazon De Jalisco
- » Tequila Don Carranza
- » Tequila Don Fabricio
- » Tequila El Rey
- » Tequila Fuentes Guerra
- » Tequila Grillos
- » Tequila Izqué
- » Tequila Jorongo
- » Tequila Me Premium
- » Tequila Tierra Fertil
- Age class
- » Chihuahua - Aldama
- » Oaxaca - San Dionisio Ocotepec
- » Oaxaca - San Baltazar Chichicapam
- » San Luis Potosi
- » Highland & Lowland Blend
- » Tequila Valley - Xamay
- » Oaxaca - Ejutla de Crespo
- » Highlands - Arandas
- » Highlands - Capilla de Guadalupe
- » Highlands - Jesús María
- » Highlands - San Ignacio Cerro Gordo
- » Highlands - Mazamitla
- » Highlands - Pénjamo
- » Highlands - Tepatitlan
- » Tequila Valley (Lowlands)
- » Tequila Valley - Amatitan
- » Tequila Valley - Juanacatlan
- » Tequila Valley - Tequila
- » Tequila Valley - Zappopan
- » Oaxaca - Oaxaca
- » To Update
- » Oaxaca
- » Oaxaca - Coatecas Altas
- » Oaxaca - Miahuatlán de Porfirio Díaz
- » Oaxaca - San Francisco Tutla
- » Oaxaca - Santiago Matatlan
- » Oaxaca - Tlacolula de Matamoros
- » Oaxaca - San Luis del Rio
- » Oaxaca - Yogana
- » Mazatlán
- » AgroIndustria Guadalajara
- » Tierra de Agaves
- » Integradora Comercial Ejutla
- » Destiladora Miahuatlán SPR de RL
- » Tequilera La Primavera
- » Premium de Jalisco SA de CV
- » Sabores Intensos S. de R.L. de C.V.
- » Pierde Almas S.A. de C.V.
- » Mezcales con Alma de Oaxaca SPR de RI
- » Mezcal Don Porfirio SA de CV
- » Envasadora La Perla S.A. de C.V.
- » Gruppo Tequilero Weber
- » Destilería Xamay S.A. de C.V.
- » Destiladora del Valle de Tequila
- » Destiladora Juanacatlan
- » Tequilera Corralejo, S.A. de C
- » Tequila Alebrijes S.A. de C.V.
- » Tequilera de la Barranca de Amatitan
- » Casa Tequilera de Arandas
- » Hacienda la Capilla
- » Productos Finos de Agave
- » Casa Armando Guillermo Prieto
- » Scorpion Mezcal S.A. de C.V.
- » Casa Corcuera
- » Cerveceria del Pacífico
- » Casa Reyes Barajas
- » Fabrica de Tequila Don Nacho
- » Casa Cuervo, S.A. de C.V.
- » Flor del Desierto SA de CV
- Barrel type